The first Public Body was a Progress Association formed in 1908, the late Mr Haines being its first Chairman and the late Mr CF Thomas the first Secretary. In 1909 Mr SJ Morgan and this body did much to advance the district, in which the needs of the new settlement were many and the amenities few.

Some of the accomplishments were the construction of the first town dam, allocation of a cemetery site, a recreation reserve and appointments of a resident Police Officer (the late Constable Walker) and a Justice of the Peace (Mr JK Hebiton) in 1911.